This Monday at 6:30 pm, we’re making Painted Glass Ornaments! Want to make some yourself?
Need to Buy:
Polyurethane Sealer (?)
1. Remove the metal hanger and cap from the top of the glass-ball ornament.
2. Clean the outside surface of the glass-ball ornament by rubbing it with a cotton ball dipped into regular rubbing alcohol. This will clean off any oily residue or dust, and it will allow the paint to stick better.
3. Draw or trace a design onto the glass-ball ornament by using a light-colored permanent marker. You can draw a simple Christmas tree, a star or even a Santa face. You can draw one simple design on each side, or draw an entire winter scene. The choices are limited only by your artistic skills. Alternately, you can purchase small stencils, and tape them to the side of the glass-ball ornament, or simply hold them in place while you trace the design.
4. Use acrylic paints to fill in the design. If you will need to use multiple colors of paint, such as ornaments on a green Christmas tree, allow the paint to dry before adding other colors on top of it.
5. Place the completed ornament, or one that needs to dry in between coats of different-colored paints, into an empty egg carton to keep it from rolling. Allow at least 24 hours for the paint to completely dry.
6. Replace the metal hanger and cap onto your one-of-a-kind Christmas
Need help finding what read next? Try the book lists at our teen webpage here: https://rogerspubliclibrary.org/teens/book-list/